Thursday 15 May 2014

self direct

from the previous painting that I have done, I have decided to paint things that relate to in things that i spend a lot of time with making it a more personal theme from the previous one. this painting below is a quick colour study painting. i wanted to try a different style from my previous accurate style to test what other styles i can produce using a digital painting software.this is a painting observation of my dad in a car. i chose to paint my dd as i spend a lot of time with but don't see him a lot as he doesn't live in my household as i live with just my mum and younger sister. i wanted to make it fairly accurate so you can distinguish what i trying to show but not as precise. This painting only took me about 3 hours to digitally paint.


this painting is painting of my dad again but more accurately drawn and painted. I wanted to test my new skill and see how detailed I can get my painting. i completed this painting in one sitting which I spent roughly 20 hours painting. I did end up with sore eyes for about 2 weeks after this but I did want to push my self to get it done with out leaving till it was complete to my satisfactory. Although its not perfect texture wise I am happy with this outcome with the amount of time I spent doing this painting. I enjoyed experimenting with a fleshy colour pallet as well as all the colours were similar so it weren't to hard to paint the colours and get them correct. I only chose to use the head as my composition as it would take to long to paint the body in one sitting but i only wanted the focus to be on his head. I chose to draw from i photograph that meant  a lot to me from a few years ago when my dad dressed up in a shopping center as santa and sat in his chair. my dad has supported me through collage and from the beginning of uni and does what ever i ask of him for my projects which is all so why I chose to use him as my painting source.


these are just some quick study's i have done of eyes as eyes are something i found fascinating even though i have an eye phobia and don't like looking at them for some strange reason. theses only took about 20 mins for each one and its the eyes of animals one was a close up of my dogs eye which i painted in blue and black tones. next I am going to try paint my own eye as a study and to try get the texture right and believable.


like i said previously i was going to paint my eye and this is the final outcome. i spent about 6 hours painting this . I found it difficult to get the textures right for the roughness and skin indentations that you can see glaring as white marks contrasting against the pink areas. painting the smoothness of the eyes was difficult then getting the reflections to look realistic was hard to. I am happy with how this turned out for the first time of painting an eye. I wouldn't say that artists inspired this kind of idea but photographers had an inspiration on this as I saw some really detailed eye photos that focus on close ups and you can see the colour part of the eye which looks all bumpy  and strange. after painting my eye I realised all the different colours that are in my eyes that i didn't even noticed i had as i thought my eyes were blue when in actual fact there blue and yellowy- green. the idea of painting my eye as well was the fact that if I couldn't see through my eyes i wouldn't be able to paint these painting and the fact that the painting hurt my eyes a lot and took a week or 2 to recover from these paintings as my eyes are sensitive to the screen glare and was one of the reason i give up my previous course last year of Game art.

This quick painting is of my dog Ice who I also am very fond of and was a Christmas present of my dad who I have had for the past 6 years and have had him since a puppy so hes been very influential over my life and spend a lot of time with like going on long journeys together and being here in Leicester without him is strange and I miss him a lot. this photo was took the first day i got him as well so it also means a lot to me. 


this painting was inspired by a artists called Pedro Campos (who's work you can view in my contextual research tab). he paints photo realistic painting that look to real to be paintings made by oil on canvas. I chose a Pepsi can to paint as it symbolizes my favorite type of canned pop and is my own go at a similar theme to Pedro Campos's paintings. I spent over 20 hours on this painting and continued till I was finished which involved hours of drawing and a painful headache and sore hand at the end of it but I am very happy with the end result and shows that I can do this type of photo realism art. the new idea I have gone down from reviewing this [painting and by what people said at the group crit is 'trickery' as there is signs that it is a painting in there but you have to look very closely to spot these. I did leave them in there on purpose as i didn't want them to be to realistic and I couldn't sit there for more than 20 hours painting as it became to much so as soon i was in too much pain i stopped and then this becomes the finished project as it shows how far i can go before i cant go no longer. its similar to an athlete in a way trying to go non stop for so long and push them selves until they have to rest.  


This is one of my final digital paintings that I spent over 30 hours on on. this was the longest I found that i can stand doing  digital painting till and new that i couldn't spend any longer doing a painting continuously with out a break. This is my favourite of all my digital paintings and the time spent on this one was worth the pain and time spent doing this one. at first it does seem to be a photograph of an Xbox controller but if you look closely you can see that there are no straight lines around the edges which show that its not perfect and it is just a painting and not a photograph. playing with a kind of trickery theme is a new theme that i am exploring with. as it is to do with the theme of looking at things i spend a lot of time doing, i chose to paint my Xbox controller as playing Xbox and games is something i enjoy and you can see this by the wear and tare on the joy sticks, as i have had this controller for over 7 years.

Ideas from this was to expand this Xbox controller large and make it pixel-late to show trickery that from far away it appears to be a photo of something but coming up close u can see it start to pixel-late  






No comments:

Post a Comment