Thursday 15 May 2014

seminar presentation


seminar presentation slides on the artist Adam Adamowicz




























evaluation 

Evaluation for Adam Adamowicz presentation

In my evaluation I will be discussing about the chosen artist that I have talked about in my presentation power point. My presentation was on an artist called Adam Adamowicz. I chose this artist, as he has been a favorite artist of mine for a few years.

For the beginning of my presentation I discussed what the artist does and how he got to where he is now. The artist I chose does work in the gaming industry and is not really a fine artist anymore which I did not really understand at first before giving my presentation. From the presentation and feedback I realized that this artist’s work does not have a fine art concept behind even though it is art. At the end of presenting this started off a little discussion about what art is. Some people felt that his work is not art as it’s made for games and some thought it is art as art can be anything. I personally feel that this artist’s work is art and I do adore his art but now I know it’s not of fine art concept.

I took into consideration that his work does not fit into a fine art background after the little debate that was started between the people in the audience, about whether his work is art or not and if it could fit in to a fine art background. I then had the task of finding out how this kind of art can fit in to a fine art. I researched into the area of digital/ game art style work and how it can fit into a more fine art concept. I remembered an artist that I was fond of at the freeze trip to London that stood out to me. This artists name was Tabor Robak, his work was presented on 4 LCD HD screens which showed his digital work that he’s created using 3D software. This shows that 3D computer digital art can be of a fine art concept. Does this make it any different to Adamowicz work if we judge this on just software used and final outcomes?

One point that came up is that Adamowicz work is not art, as it’s not presented in a gallery. If we just look purely at software used and final out comes we have two identical outcomes. So what makes Adamowicz work not art and Robak’s work art, just because it’s presented in a gallery?

The answer to the above question is opinion based and depends on the individual and how they feel about digital art. An older person who has not grew up with digital art might not view this as art, whereas younger people who have grew up with digital art will be more understandable to it. Based on these questions given during the feedback I conducted a little research by asking a few different age generations their opinions on digital art. I first asked my granddad about what he thinks of this type of art (who is currently 90). His opinion on this style of art is that he does not understand and does not want to get his head around it. I then asked my mum and dad about this type of art and they think it is a type of art but do not see how it fits in with a gallery. My younger sister (who is 14) thinks it is an art form and thinks there should be more of it in galleries as she is also into playing games like myself. I think since the digital world is expanding and is taking over nearly almost everything and it costs a lot less to digitally paint something that it might take over art in the future. The down fall to digital painting though is that it has to be presented on a screen or viewed on a screen for it to be successful as printing it off can pixelate the image and it just does not look as good.

I felt that my presentation went well overall as I practiced it before hand and knew a lot about the artists and showed relations between my work and his work. People liked how I showed the progress of the images starting as just initial painting/ sketched then I used YouTube videos of how they went from that stage to digital final outcomes. I put the videos in as it shows people how games are made and how they are pieces of art. To me a game is a digitally living piece of art as each piece of the environment and characters are all painstakingly and digitally hand crafted, as I have learn’t this from my previous course which was game art. I think from this presentation I am to highly influence from game style artists and need find artists that have presented for galleries even though it is rare to find this kind of art in a gallery. A lot more hard work has gone behind this type of art as it takes a long time to create this type of work so I appreciate this type of work more

To conclude this evaluation I have learn’t that If I could redo this presentation things I would change and improve are; I would of chose to talk about Robaks work instead as it fits in with a fine art concept instead of game art. This has not changed my opinion on this type of work not being art, as I still see it as art just like a sculpture or any other painting in a gallery. I could have also used a more influential artist who has inspired my work for this last project. I did about photorealist at first when we did these presentations so maybe one of the photorealist artists I looked at would have made more sense. It did work in my favor though as it made me look deeper into digital art which is what I am doing for my project and how it fits in with the fine art world. Overall it’s hard for digital art to fit in with fine art but it has proved that it can by the artist Tabor Robak who has done the digital work justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment